Molecular Weight Testing
Polyhedron Laboratories performs molecular weight testing according to ASTM standards, such as Gel Permeation Chromatography (ASTM D 5296-05), Inherent Viscosity (ASTM D 1601-99), Inherent Viscosity (ASTM D 4603-03) Dilute Solution Viscosity (ASTM D 1243-95) and Laser Light Scattering (multi-angle, ASTM D 4001-93). All ASTM standard descriptions below are paraphrased from the ASTM website. Due to copyright restrictions, Polyhedron Laboratories cannot make available copies of standards. Standards can be found and are available at www.astm.org.
ASTM D 6474 High Temperature GPC Molecular Weight Testing
- Polyhedron Laboratories ASTM D 6474 test methods measure the molecular weight distribution and molecular weight averages of polyethylene and polypropylene resins. The variation in molecular weights and molecular weight distributions significantly affect physical properties and can determine product strength and flow rates. Polyhedron Laboratories ASTM D 6474 tests are used for quality control and failure analysis applications.
- More on ASTM D 6474
ASTM D 5296-05 Standard Test Method for Molecular Weight Averages and Molecular Weight Distribution of Polystyrene by High Performance Size-Exclusion Gel Permeation Chromatography
- This test procedure deals with the determination of molecular weight averages and the distribution of molecular weights for linear, soluble polymers by liquid high-performance size-exclusion chromatography (HPSEC). This test procedure method calls for the use of commercially available narrow molecular weight distribution (MWD) polystyrene standards for calibration. This test procedure is valid for specimens containing molecular weight components that have elution volumes falling within the range defined by polystyrene standards.
ASTM D 1601-99 Standard Test Method for Dilute Solution Viscosity of Ethylene Polymers
- This test procedure deals with the determination of the dilute solution viscosity of ethylene polymers at 135 degrees Centigrade. This is applicable to a wide spectrum of ethylene polymers having densities from 0.910 to 0.970 g/cm2. Instructions are explained for the determination of the viscosity ratio, inherent viscosity (also referred to as the logarithmic viscosity number), and the limiting viscosity number (intrinsic viscosity).
ASTM D 4603-03 Standard Test Method for Determining Inherent Viscosity of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) by Glass Capillary Viscometer
- This test procedure is for the determination of the inherent viscosity of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) soluble at 0.50 % concentration in a 60/40 phenol/1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane solution using a glass capillary viscometer.
ASTM D 1243-95 Standard Test Method for Dilute Solution Viscosity of Vinyl Chloride Polymers
- This test procedure deals with the determination of the dilute solution viscosity of vinyl chloride polymers in cyclohexanone. The viscosity is expressed in terms of inherent viscosity (also referred to as the logarithmic viscosity number).
ASTM D 4001-93Standard Test Method for Determination of Weight-Average Molecular Weight of Polymers By Light Scattering
- This test procedure explains the test methods for determining the weight-average molecular weight of polymers by light scattering. It applies to all nonionic homopolymers (branched or linear) that dissolve completely without degradation or reaction to form stable solutions.
|Gel Permeation Chromatography
||ASTM D 5296 (in THF)
||ASTM D 1601
||ASTM D 4603
||ASTM D 1243
|Laser Light Scattering (multi-angle)
||ASTM D 4001
Contact Polyhedron Laboratories about Gel Permeation Chromatography.
Contact us today to request a quote from Polyhedron Laboratories
or call us at 281.879.8600